Saturday 10 January 2009

You've either done lots of research, or are an expert already on LCD/plasma TV's
You've bought a new LCD/plasma!

How much would YOU sell your brand new LCD/plasma for 12 months later?

12 months later: how much would you be prepared to accept for it?
10% less? 20%? 50%!?
You'd be surprised - if you don't know what you're doing, then you might be looking at 50%
Yes, yes: I know most of you will want to sell for maybe 10% less; fact: you'll ONLY be able to sell at whatever the market price is (if you actually want to sell the thing and not wait a million years for your perfect buyer to come along)

Warning: an LCD/plasma TV is for life, not just for Christmas
Erm... no!! I personally don't think so! 12 months later the technology is now bigger and better than ever before: picture is better, sound is better, new TV's are lighter! And you've been left in the stone ages (OK... it's not really as bad as that!)

I've bought a 6 series Samsung 40 inch (+ free DVD recorder!)
I got a good deal for it: paid £667!
(If you want to find out where and how to get the same deal, read one of my posts below!)
The market value of the same TV right now - an average of what everyone else is paying is £750 - just weighing up what others pay at expensive places + shrewd buyers who know where to buy from (This figure is *just* an estimate that I've made up on the spot!)

I've done some research on eBay and 12 months down the road, I could realistically get £400 - £500 for the TV
(I'm a Powerseller on eBay... and sell 10,000's of items a year... so if you're not experienced... just take my word for it to be true about the price)

The price you get is dependent on a few factors:

- obviously condition
- is it boxed? does it have manuals? does it have original paperwork?
- the quality of your eBay listing: how good it looks (assuming you are selling on eBay)

I based my price guide above on some research: the prices of 4 and 5 series 40 inch Samsungs being sold right now (you need to be able to distinguish between used ones being sold + new ones still being sold)

Let's assume you buy for £700 for arguments sake and let's assume you get a lower end price of £400

Would you be happy!!? 

My take on it: if I could sell for £500, then I would - I'd go out and buy the current latest model/best offer

I'd be interested to hear what others say!

Some advice, if you want to sell:

- if you can... keep the original box
- keep EVERYTHING! the paperwork (no I'm not just referring to the warranty paper but also the manuals and enviromental notices!)
- obviously, I don't need to say: look after it with TLC 
- if selling on eBay, put some effort into creating a good looking listing
('good looking' doesn't necessarily mean top notch professional design - just lots of honest info, technical specs + loooads of pictures)

Do this and when it comes to selling, you'll get a much higher price than just an open TV: 'take as seen' sale

Disclaimer:

- keeping and storing a big box + not knowing when you might ever actually sell might not be realistic for most people!
- if having read this, you decide to keep the big giant box + other bits and bobs and as a result, the wife gives you a beating, please blame me (but don't give her my details)

1 comment:

  1. Great post omar! You've really helped me make up my mind what flatscreen to go for! I read your comments and have decided to go for a plasma screen! The guy at Dixons whent through the pros and cons. I would have bought an LCD, but they had a one off managers special on a plasma that I just couldn't say no to!

    ReplyDelete